Sunday, May 16, 2010

Table of Contents for Pevear & Volokhonsky Edition

Some of the people participating in the reading group have editions other than the 2007 Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. Different editions have different pagination, but the basic structure, in terms of volumes and sections, should be similar. So below is the Table of Contents from the Pevear and Volokhonsky edition that the reading schedule is keyed to. If you're reading a different edition and have any questions about pagination or pace, please send me an email.
Pevear & Volokhonsky Edition Table of Contents

VOLUME ONE
Part One 3
Part Two 112
Part Three 201

VOLUME TWO
Part One 297
Part Two 347
Part Three 418
Part Four 488
Part Five 535

VOLUME THREE
Part One 603
Part Two 682
Part Three 821

VOLUME FOUR
Part One 935
Part Two 987
Part Three 1031
Part Four 1075

EPILOGUE
Part One 1129
Part Two 1179
So, if you're reading another edition, you should aim to finish all of VOLUME ONE by 5/30, and to finish all of VOLUME TWO by 7/4. If you stay roughly on pace to do that, you'll be on the same pace as the official schedule.

Also, it's my understanding that most other translations do not retain the original French (and German) as the Pevear and Volokhonsky edition does. Is that true? How do people feel about Pevear and Volokhonsy retaining the original French and German passages?

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious. I assume the Peavear and Volokhonsky edition is annotated and thus the translations appear in the back of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The P&V version has footnotes for all of the French and German dialogue/passages; these footnotes appear at the bottom of each page that has French or German text (for ease of reference). There are different footnotes for historical points; those footnotes are compiled in the back of the P&V version. It works very well for me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I don't find the French overwhelming, on the contrary I find it works out fine and adds zest - probably what Tolstoy wanted. I'm glad I got the P&V translation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kåre: Glad that the P&V version is working well for you. I think you're right as to Tolstoy's intentions. It seems to me that his use of French dialogue is a way for him to characterize some of the Russian aristocrats and their detachment from the other Russians around them, their worldview, etc.

    Just curious: Are there many good Swedish translations of Russian literature? I've always had the impression that Swedes were quite interested in Russian literature and history, given the geographic proximity, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I'm far from an expert, I do believe there are many good translations of Russian literature to Swedish when compared to other small languages with limited audiences. My main interest has been Dostoyevsky and Solzhenitsyn and so far I've had no reason to complain. As for W&P, I've been unable to locate a recent translation. There's a new translation of the 1805 draft - probably the same source as the Andrew Bromfield translation - but I rejected that one. Isn't W&P supposed to be huge? I imagine I would feel like a phoney reading the 1805 draft, not reading the "real" thing.

    ReplyDelete