Friday, June 4, 2010

Post-WAR & PEACE



I know that it might be slightly early to bring this up, given that by Sunday we'll still have about 900 pages left in our current book, but I'll go ahead and float my idea anyway. If you're enjoying this process of book-club-by-blog, I was thinking, after a short break, we could continue the project in the fall/winter with another book we could plow through together. Some ideas I've had circulating in my head for potential next books:
- BLEAK HOUSE, Dickens

- GRAVITY'S RAINBOW, Pynchon

- THE WINGS OF THE DOVE, James

- THE BLIND ASSASSIN, Atwood

- THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES, Bolaño

- DON QUIXOTE, Cervantes

- THE UNNAMED, Ferris

- ANNA KARENINA, Tolstoy

- ATMOSPHERIC DISTURBANCES, Galchen

- WUTHERING HEIGHTS, Brontë

- CHRONIC CITY, Lethem

- THE NAMES, DeLillo
It would probably work best to try to pick a book most of us haven't read yet (or would be willing to reread), which may be tricky. Mull it over, and let me know if you're interested, and if you have other ideas for a next book. (Perhaps we should consider non-fiction as well?) If enough people seem interested, I'll set up a sidebar poll and we can pick our next book that way.

In the meantime, get to page 304 (or the end of Volume I) by Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm cool with Gravity's Rainbow or Don Quixote, both of which I started but never finished. As an additional proposal I suggest the Buddenbrooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot a few I meant to put on the list:

    - TREE OF SMOKE, Johnson

    - HERZOG, Bellow

    - THE CONFIDENCE MAN, Melville

    - ABSALOM, ABSALOM, Faulkner

    - SONS AND LOVERS, Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  3. These reading groups work well with utterly confusing, obtuse, abstract works which are then made sense with collaborative thought. Thus Pynchon, Delillo or Bolano and various post-modernists are the ideal fodder for these projects.

    I know it got all the publicity as a big reading group last summer, but there's also "Infinite Jest."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and another conspicuously forgotten magnum opus, John Dos Passos' "U.S.A." trilogy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do Absalom, Chronic City, or some James or Conrad. I've read lots of the other suggestions already (I had lots of time on my hands in grad school). Also would be psyched to try Vollman's Europe Central, which might be a pretty cool pairing with W&P.

    ReplyDelete